“Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does” – Stuart Henderson Britt
Thanks Raj for this guest blog post. Earlier in the week I listened to a great presentation by Raj Nagji of The Local Directory on the pitfalls of advertising. Below are some tips which I’m sure you’ll find interesting. For more information on The Local Directory Ltd, visit their website. Advertise your business online for free or contact Raj for their media pack on tel: 01494 725 878.
- Header/ Strap line – grab the reader’s attention, make them want to read it!
- Simple design and layout – your advert should be consistent, uncluttered and avoid small, complicated or difficult to read fonts
- Use clear copy – this is a logical follow on from the headline, build a convincing case. All the reader wants to know is “what’s in it for me?”
- Why you… establishing the need
- Why this… proving the irresistible offer
- Why it’s a no brainer… proving the value
- Call to action – why you have to do it now
- Logo and contact details at the bottom
Adverts using these rules out perform a typical style advert by 30 to 1, yet almost all advertisers use the typical ad style.